Wednesday, January 15, 2014

PAINFUL MEMORIES OF MY SON'S CIRCUMCISION.

Frail and Broken:
Painful Memories of My Son's Circumcision.


My name is Kelsey. On October 19, 2010, I gave birth to my first child - a boy. He surprised us all with his red hair and his uncanny resemblance to my husband.   He was perfect.
I was thrilled to be his mother, and I knew it was my duty to do everything I could in my life to benefit him.

October 20, 2010, on day two of his life, less than 48 hours old, the doctor came in to check on me, went down her routine list of questions, and then got to the question of whether or not I wanted to circumcise him.
With confidence, I quickly replied, "Yes!" My doctor almost did a double take, and said, "But you know that it is purely for cosmetic reasons, right?"
I replied in an annoyed tone, "Thanks, I did my research. I know what I'm doing. Yes, please have it done."
She made a mark on her clipboard and prepped for the procedure.

Truth be told, I did not do any research, at least not any REAL research.
I maybe jumped into circumcision debates, and found comfort in what the pro-circumcision people were saying, but that's about it.
I had no real basis for my belief that circumcision was necessary.
It mostly came from whispers around me and seeing circumcised men without a care in the world, never having any problems.

The whispers I heard were such things as, "uncircumcised boys are dirty," "uncircumcised men/boys get ridiculed immensely,"(which was only fueled by me witnessing such childish cruelty in my own schooling), whispers of "it's just something that all boys need done," "its cleaner," "intact penises look disgusting," "if you don't have it done now when they can't remember and don't feel pain, then you almost always have to get it done later, so circumcise him now to save him later..."

All of these whispered myths are those I have found to be completely false, presumptuous propaganda as my wisdom has grown.


What I saw then, and what I see now, are virtually two different visions. As a new and naive mother, with my newborn son, I saw a tuckered out baby boy after having a "medical procedure" done that was totally necessary in order to keep him healthy and happy.

What I see now, looking back, is the horror that is my ultimate wrong decision as a mother - to have a healthy, vital, functional, purposeful part of his genitals cut off in a cruel and unusual way.
 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.savingsons.org/2014/01/frail-and-broken-painful-memories-of-my.html 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
..

No comments:

Blog Archive